11 March 2016

Overnight skiing-trip alone

TAIMENMUTKA












On Tuesday I skied to Taimenmutka cabin to spend a night alone there. Or not completely alone; I had my dog Miilu with me. Once again, she proved to be a perfect companion.

Miilu helped me to pull the pulka to the cabin. I knew the way, because we have been there before with my family. The jurney was easy: It's only five kilometers from the road and this time there was a snow-scooter track to follow. It went fast.
Good axe, good wood











In the cabin I did all the usual things: Cleaned the cabin, made firewood, fire and water, cooked dinner, fed the dog and so on. I was surprised how natural it all felt. I have been doing all these tasks so many times with my husband and our sons, that none of them seemed difficult to me.

I let Miilu be free, because she never runs away. Outside she followed me around and inside she stayed on her blanked quiet as a mouse. I almost felt like she appreciated her time with me so much, she tried to be polite and flawless.
View from the cabin











Little by little the daylight vanished. At eight it was dark.The night was very quiet. No sounds, no odd noises - nothing. There was something peaceful in the atmosphere. I was not afraid, but I slept lightly, like I usually do if I'm not at home.

At about three o'clock in the night I found myself awake and wondering, how to catch sleep again. Right then Miilu got up and came to me very slowly, waiting after each step if I ask her to go back to her place or not.
- Come here, I said, and she crawled to the bed next to me. She literally put her paw to my hand. And then we both slept like logs.

Miilu the dog











In the morning she woke me up by putting her cold nose very gently against mine. I opened my eyes, and saw it was getting light. I said:
- I want to sleep a little longer. Miilu raised, went to her place and lied down. I slept an hour more and then started cooking breakfast.
Breakfast coffee coming











I took no hurry to eat, to pack and to tidy. At about eleven I started skiing back. On the way I saw same fox, hare and moose -footprints as the day before, but again no signs of any people.

On the way to the cabin there is two nice-to-ski downhills and only one tough uphill. Coming back from the cabin the other way it is slower. The only downhill this was almost too steep to ski. I had to go very slowly and carefully down.

Sulavaara











When I reached the road I waited for my husband to come and pick me up. I packed my skies and Miilu packed herself like this:











This was my first overnight trip alone. It is nice to know I can do it. The best thing was is to ski alone, to be wandering, to cross the forests and hills and swamps. Next time I would like to ski a bit longer ways - between the cabins, maybe. It is very calming to be alone, but I wouldn't mind meeting my family or friends in the cabin in the evening, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and subscribe. Voit kommentoida myös suomeksi!